Intel® Microarchitecture based on 32nm
Intel® microarchitecture based on 32nm is an incredible leap in processor integration and manufacturing. Introduced in the 2nd generation Intel® CoreTM processor family, some of the highlights of this new microarchitecture include:
- Manufactured entirely on Intel® 32nm process technology, delivering yet another leap in performance and energy efficiency beyond previous generation process technologies.
- All cores plus graphics are integrated on a single chip, enabling new levels of visual experiences on a PC.
- Even more performance boost when you need it with Intel® Turbo Boost 2.0.
- Yet another step in increased efficiency by intelligently matching performance to workloads, while optimizing power efficiency across cores and graphics engine.
Fully integrated microarchitecture
Intel® microarchitecture based on 32nm unifies processor cores, memory controller, last-level cache (LLC), and graphics and media processing. Such tight integration enables a host of performance and efficiency improvements, such as:
- Fast access by cores and graphics to shared data in the last-level cache accelerates graphics processing.
- Fewer buses over which data and signaling must travel mean faster processing.
- More memory bandwidth for the cores boosts system performance.
Smart performance boosts for graphics and media processing
2nd Generation Intel® CoreTM processors with built-in visuals1 are optimized for next-generation media workloads. New technologies include:
- A much more powerful graphics engine than previous Intel microarchitectures speeds 3D and video processing.
- New hardware-based media accelerators and graphics execution units deliver superior performance for gaming, HD video content, and 3D graphics.
- New technologies that allow you to truly enjoy all your HD content and web experiences.
Dynamic performance for both processor and graphics
Intelligent power management with Intel® Turbo Boost 2.02 dynamically controls performance and power—for both cores and graphics—boosting performance exactly where and when it is needed, and saving energy when it counts.
Design scalability for a wide range of markets
2nd Generation Intel® CoreTM processors address servers, workstations, notebooks, and desktop segments with support for two to eight or more cores and up to sixteen or more threads with Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology)3. This new microarchitecture also enables thinner form factors, improved battery life, and active energy efficiency for mobile computing applications.
Double the FLOPS, and more
Compute intensive applications get a boost with Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel® AVX), a new, 256 bit instruction set extension to Intel® SSE. Intel AVX along with new Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), operating system, and virtual machine manager (VMM) enhancements extend the architecture for important new applications.
1. Available on the 2nd gen Intel® Core™ processor family. Includes Intel® HD Graphics, Intel® Quick Sync Video, Intel® Clear Video HD Technology (Intel® CVT HD), Intel® InTru™ 3D Technology, and Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions (Intel® AVX). Also optionally includes Intel® Wireless Display depending on whether enabled on a given system or not. Whether you will receive the benefits of built-in visuals depends upon the particular design of the PC you choose. Consult your PC manufacturer whether built-in visuals are enabled on your system. Learn more about built-in visuals at www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/visual-technology/intel-visual-technology-consumer.html.
2. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology requires a system with Intel Turbo Boost Technology capability. Consult your PC manufacturer. Performance varies depending on hardware, software, and system configuration. For more information, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/turbo-boost/turbo-boost-technology.html.
3. Requires an Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology)-enabled system, check with your PC manufacturer. Performance will vary depending on the specific hardware and software used. Not available on the Intel® Core™ i5-750. For more information, including details on which processors support HT technology, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/hyper-threading/hyper-threading-technology.html.