Intel® Smart Response Technology
Fast access to the files and applications you use most
Intel® Smart Response Technology1,2 is a feature of Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST)3 that recognizes and automatically stores your most frequently used applications and data into a high performance solid state drive (SSD) while giving you full access to the large storage capacity of a hard disk drive (HDD). This enables a lower-cost, small-capacity SSD to be used in conjunction with a high-capacity hard disk drive. Intel Smart Response Technology enables your system to perform faster than a system with just a HDD.
- 3x faster access to your favorite applications and data1,4
- 40% faster boot time for Windows* 81,5
You can create, work, and play faster than ever before without paying more for a larger SSD to store your entire digital library.
Intel Smart Response Technology now supports solid state hybrid drives (SSHD).6 An SSHD is a new type of HDD with a built-in high performance SSD. Intel Smart Response Technology boosts SSHD performance by informing the drive which data you use the most so it can store it into the built-in SSD.
How it works
Intel® Smart Response Technology caches data I/O blocks to the SSD that benefit the most from acceleration—for example, your most frequently used applications, games, and OS data. This feature differentiates between multi-use or high-value data—such as application, user, and boot data—and low-value data, such as data accessed by background tasks. Low-value data does not typically offer any responsiveness benefits to you, and therefore is not inserted into the cache. This selectivity facilitates more efficient use of the available cache capacity, and maintains optimum steady-state performance even across system shutdown and reboots.
Easy to set up. Easy to use.
If you have a computer with an HDD only that utilizes Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST), all you have to do is connect an SSD and enable drive acceleration.7 The friendly user interface makes it easy to install and manage. Plus, Intel® Smart Response Technology works with any SSD—even older ones—as long as it is at least 20 GB in size.
1. Software and workloads used in performance tests may have been optimized for performance only on Intel® microprocessors. Performance tests, such as PCMark* are measured using specific computer systems, components, software, operations, and functions. Any change to any of those factors may cause the results to vary. You should consult other information and performance tests to assist you in fully evaluating your contemplated purchases, including the performance of that product when combined with other products.
2. Requires a select Intel® processor, enabled chipset, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) software, and a properly configured hybrid drive (HDD + small SSD). Depending on system configuration, your results may vary. Contact your system manufacturer for more information.
3. Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) requires the computer have an Intel® RST-enabled Intel chipset, RAID controller in the BIOS enabled and the Intel Rapid Storage Technology software driver installed. Please consult your system vendor for more information.
4. I/O Performance Workload: PCMark* Vantage HDD score; System Configuration: CPU: Intel® microarchitecture, formerly Ivy Bridge 1.8GHz dual core + Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology; Memory: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3; Chipset: Intel® QM77 Chipset; HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Black* 500GB SATA Gen2; SSD: Intel® SDD 320 Series 160GB SATA Gen2; Cache Device: Intel® SSD 313 Series, 24GB SATA Gen2; Windows 8 Professional* 64-bit.
5. Windows* ADK boot time; CPU: Intel® microarchitecture formerly Ivy Bridge 1.8GHz dual core plus Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology (Intel® HT Technology); Memory: 4GB 1333MHz DDR3. Chipset: Intel® QM77 Express Chipset; Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) 11.5 with the following storage options: 1) HDD: Western Digital Scorpio Black* 500GB SATA Gen2; 2) Cache: Intel® SSD 313 Series 24GB; 3) SSD: Intel® SSD 520 -, 60GB SATA Gen2.
6. Intel® Smart Response Technology requires a Intel® Core™ processor, select Intel® chipset, Intel® Rapid Storage Technology software version 12.5 or higher, and a solid-state hybrid drive reporting at least 16 GB capacity and supporting SATA-I/O hybrid information feature. Depending on system configuration, your results may vary. Contact your system manufacturer for more information.
7. Requires the HDD to be enabled with power-up in standby (PUIS). Contact your system manufacturer for more information.