Retail Solutions: Restaurant and Food Service Technology Options
Restaurant and food service technology options for small- and medium-sized businesses
Fine dining establishments, quick-service locations, pizza parlors, delis, coffee shops—there is really no end to the variety in terms of format, cuisine, price point and service levels. Today’s owners and operators are leveraging technology to better manage and market their operations, increase inventory efficiencies, improve cash flow and revenues, all while improving their customer experiences.
Though investments in traditional and mobile point-of-sale (POS and mPOS) systems lead the way, restaurants also rely on back-office systems, networking, and security, in addition to increasing their investments in the new digital touchpoints. These touchpoints are shaping the intelligent restaurant of tomorrow: POS, digital signage, digital security, enhanced storage, and more.
What type of integrated restaurant or food service solution is right for you?
If you view the POS system as your entry into technology applications and want to deploy small-scale digital signage, security and surveillance solutions, and Network-attached Storage (NAS) storage for back-up and recovery, consider an entry-level solution. This may have a traditional POS or mPOS, one or two interactive touch screens—with still imagery and content, a basic content management and digital security system, and in-band management capabilities.
If you have begun leveraging technology as a strategic business practice, have multiple locations, or would like to integrate other functionalities like inventory and order management, consider upgrading your components to a mainstream solution. This could include interactivity on multiple displays, more touchpoints from signage and kiosks to POS and mPOS, digital security and surveillance, rich-media content and audience analytics, as well as remote management capabilities.
High-end or advanced users
An integrated high-end solution is perfect for the business owner with many locations, a complex inventory and order management system and an understanding of how technology can give their business a competitive advantage. This could include back-office integration, multi-location networking, support for enhanced or personalized customer service, and integration with advanced systems such as digital signage, security and, of course, mobility. Advanced users will want to know that they are investing in a flexible, scalable solution that can grow with their business. Consider easy and effective campaign management tools in Intel® Retail Client Manager (Intel® RCM), the out-of-band remote management capabilities via Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT)1, and the audience metrics and analytics that are possible with Intel® Audience Impressions Metrics Suite (Intel® AIM Suite).
Restaurant and food service market segment overview
Everything you ever wanted to know about engagement opportunities for restaurants and food service.
The intelligent restaurant
A how-to-guide for using Intel®-based solutions to streamline restaurant operations and enhance customer experiences.
Intel® Retail Solutions Partner Network
Find vendors that can help you design and deploy amazing restaurant solutions of all types—from point of sale to digital signage.
Intel® Retail Client Manager
Real-time management of content across digital consumer touchpoints.
|Solution Components (POS)||
|CPU2||Intel® Atom™ processor or
Intel® Celeron® processor
|Intel® Core™ i3 processor||Intel® Core™ i5 processor3, 4|
|Memory||Up to 2 GB||Up to 4 GB||2-32 GB|
|Storage/hard disk drive||2.5-inch 160-GB SSD||2.5-inch 160-GB SSD||250- or 500-GB SSD|
|Screen||12-inch capacitive touch screen||15-inch capacitive touch screen||17-inch capacitive touch screen; optional second, customer-facing screen|
|Integrated magnetic strip reader
|Solution Components (DS)||User Categories|
Dual-display, HD local-sourced content, secure and standard manageability, limited interactivity
Multi-display, 2-D/3-D connected and directed content, video analytics-capable, full manageability and security, extremely interactive
Multi-display, 2-D/3-D connected and directed content, video analytics-capable, full manageability and security, touch/non-touch gesture, and voice
|Typical implementation setup||Dual display, plug and play||Multiple screens, networked, looping||Multiple screens, networked, interactive|
|Content||Still images, video at lower refresh rates||Still images, video||Still images, video blended with real-time feeds|
|Processors||Intel® Atom™ processor, Intel® Celeron® processor, Intel® Core™ i3 processor||Intel® Core™ i5 processor||Intel® Core™ i7 processor|
|Decoder (typical, not all-inclusive)||1080p @30p||1920 x 1080 @ 60p||1920 x 1080 @ 60p|
- Single-touch media graphics
- Perceptual computing Software Development Kit (SDK)
- Responsive media/graphics
- Perceptual computing SDK
- Responsive media/graphics
- 4K collage mode
|Display resolution (typical)||1280 x 800 @ 60p
1920 x 1080 @ 30p
|1920 x 1080 @ 60p||1920 x 1080 @ 60p|
|Multiple video zones (typical)||No||Yes||Yes|
|Basic touch screen interactivity||Single (typical), Multi (capable)||Multi||Multi|
|Content management software and audience analytics||Intel® Retail Client Manager (Intel® RCM) and Intel® AIM Suite||Intel RCM and Intel AIM Suite||Intel RCM and Intel AIM Suite|
|Security||- Content graffiti
|- Intel® Trusted Platform Module (Intel® TPM)
- Content graffiti
- Provisioning and updating
|- Intel TPM
- Content graffiti
- Provisioning and updating
- Identity theft
- Data theft
- System theft
|Management||In-band management||Intel® AMT||Intel AMT|
|Solution Components (DSS)||User Categories|
|Typical implementation set up||- Small (1-20 cameras)
- Single server w/ storage (DVR/NVR)
- 1-2 viewing clients
|- Medium (20-100 cameras)
- Separate server & storage
- 3-5 viewing clients
- Single-site, multi-building
|- Large (100-1,000 cameras)
- Multiple servers & storage
- Multiple viewing clients
- Multi-site, multi-city
|Processor||Intel® Atom™ processor||Intel® Core™ processor||Intel® Xeon® E3/E5 processor|
|DRAM||2-8 GB||8-16 GB||8-32 GB|
|Video display||1-2 HDMI*/VGA||2-3 HDMI/VGA||2-3 HDMI/VGA|
|Software RAID||N/A||Intel® Rapid Storage Technology
(SW RAID 0,1,10,5)
|Intel Rapid Storage Technology
Enterprise (SW RAID 0,1,10,5)
|Hardware RAID (includes storage expansion)||N/A||N/A||Intel® RAID (RAID levels 0,1,5,6,10,50,60)|
|Remote manageability||In-band||Intel® AMT
- Out-of-band enabled by Intel® vPro™ technology
- Out-of-band enabled by Intel vPro technology5
1. Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) requires activation and a system with a corporate network connection, an Intel® AMT-enabled chipset, network hardware and software. For notebooks, Intel AMT may be unavailable or limited over a host OS-based VPN, when connecting wirelessly, on battery power, sleeping, hibernating or powered off. Results dependent upon hardware, setup & configuration. For more information, visit www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/intel-active-management-technology.html.
2. Intel's compilers may or may not optimize to the same degree for non-Intel microprocessors for optimizations that are not unique to Intel® microprocessors. These optimizations include SSE2 and SSE3 instruction sets and other optimizations. Intel does not guarantee the availability, functionality, or effectiveness of any optimization on microprocessors not manufactured by Intel. Microprocessor-dependent optimizations in this product are intended for use with Intel microprocessors. Certain optimizations not specific to Intel® microarchitecture are reserved for Intel microprocessors. Please refer to the applicable product user and reference guides for more information regarding the specific instruction sets covered by this notice. Notice revision #20110804
3. 4th generation Intel® Core™ i5-4558U processor (28W, 2.4 GHz (turbo up to 2.9 GHz), 2C/4T, Intel® Iris™ graphics 5100 1.10 GHz, graphics driver 15.31.3063) compared to 3rd generation Intel® Core™ i3-3687U processor (17W, 1.9 GHz, 2C/4T, Intel® HD Graphics 4000 1.10 GHz, graphics driver 15.28.2875, 15.31.3063).
4. Iris™ graphics is available on select systems. Consult your system manufacturer.
5. Intel® vPro™ technology is sophisticated and requires setup and activation. Availability of features and results will depend upon the setup and configuration of your hardware, software, and IT environment. To learn more visit: www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/architecture-and-technology/vpro/intel-vpro-technology-developer.html