Empowering Transformation in a Digital World
Across an evolving digital world, disruptive and emerging technology trends in business, industry, science, and entertainment increasingly impact the world’s economies. By 2020, the success of half of the world’s Global 2000 companies will depend on their abilities to create digitally enhanced products, services, and experiences,1 and large organizations expect to see an 80 percent increase in their digital revenues,2 all driven by advancements in technology and usage models they enable.
This global transformation is rapidly scaling the demands for flexible compute, networking, and storage. Future workloads will necessitate infrastructures that can seamlessly scale to support immediate responsiveness and widely diverse performance requirements. The exponential growth of data generation and consumption, the rapid expansion of cloud-scale computing, emerging 5G networks, and the extension of high-performance computing (HPC) and artificial intelligence (AI) into new usages require that today’s data centers and networks urgently evolve—or be left behind in a highly competitive environment. These demands are driving the architecture of modernized, future-ready data centers and networks that can quickly flex and scale.
The Intel® Xeon® Scalable platform provides the foundation for a powerful data center platform that creates an evolutionary leap in agility and scalability. Disruptive by design, this innovative processor sets a new level of platform convergence and capabilities across compute, storage, memory, network, and security. Enterprises and cloud and communications service providers can now drive forward their most ambitious digital initiatives with a feature-rich, highly versatile platform.
Enabling Greater Efficiencies and Lower TCO
Across infrastructures, from enterprise to technical computing applications, the Intel® Xeon® Scalable platform is designed for data center modernization to drive operational efficiencies that lead to improved total cost of ownership (TCO) and higher productivity for users. Systems built on the Intel® Xeon® Scalable platform are designed to deliver agile services and reduce TCO up to 65 percent3 4 due to lower software and OS licensing fees, and acquisition, maintenance, and infrastructure costs.
Virtualization in the enterprise has been steadily on the rise for a decade. Most organizations have taken advantage of some form of virtualization, creating greater need for servers to run virtual machines (VMs) in the data center. Intel® Xeon® Scalable platform enables 4.2x5 more VMs per server compared to earlier generations, allowing IT to increase their consolidation of more services on less hardware.
Pervasive, Breakthrough Performance
From its new Intel® Mesh Architecture and widely expanded resources to its hardware-accelerating and newly integrated technologies, the Intel® Xeon® Scalable platform enables a new level of consistent, pervasive, and breakthrough performance.
Comparing Intel® Xeon® Scalable platform to both four-year-old and last-generation Intel® Xeon® processor-based systems, the latest generation Intel CPU delivers better performance and capabilities for enterprise, cloud, communications, and HPC.5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
- Higher per-core performance: Up to 28 cores, delivering high performance and scalability for compute-intensive workloads across compute, storage, and network usages.
- Greater memory bandwidth/capacity: 50 percent increased memory bandwidth and capacity. Six memory channels versus four memory channels of previous generation for memory-intensive workloads.
- Expanded I/O: 48 lanes of PCIe* 3.0 bandwidth and throughput for demanding I/O-intensive workloads.
- Intel® Ultra Path Interconnect (Intel® UPI): Up to three Intel® UPI channels increase scalability of the platform to as many as eight sockets, as well as improves inter-CPU bandwidth for I/O-intensive workloads versus previous generation13 (with Intel® QuickPath Interconnect (Intel® QPI)). Intel UPI offers the perfect balance between improved throughput and energy efficiency.
- Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 512 (Intel® AVX-512): With double the flops per clock cycle compared to previous generation Intel® Advanced Vector Extensions 2 (Intel® AVX2)14, Intel® AVX-512 boosts performance, and throughput for the most demanding computational tasks in applications, such as modeling and simulation, data analytics and machine learning, data compression, visualization, and digital content creation.
- Security without compromise: Near-zero encryption overhead15 enables higher performance on all secure data transactions.
First-time platform integrations deliver improvements in performance and latency across the infrastructure:
- Integrated Intel® Omni-Path Architecture (Intel® OPA) Host Fabric Interface: End-to-end high-bandwidth, low-latency fabric that optimizes performance and eases deployment of HPC clusters by eliminating the need for a discrete host fabric interface card. Integrated in the CPU package.
- Integrated Intel® QuickAssist Technology (Intel® QAT): Chipset-based hardware acceleration for growing compression and cryptographic workloads for greater efficiency while delivering enhanced data transport and protection across server, storage, and network infrastructure.
- Integrated Intel® Ethernet with scalable iWARP* RDMA*: Provides up to four 10 Gbps high-speed Ethernet ports for high data throughput and low-latency workloads. Ideal for software-defined storage solutions, NVM Express* over Fabric solutions, and virtual machine migrations. Integrated in the chipset.
Industry-Leading Storage Support
Storage innovations can drive significant improvements in efficiency and performance of data-hungry workloads.
- Support for Intel® Optane™ SSDs and Intel® 3D NAND SSD: Delivers industry-leading combination of high throughput, low latency, high QoS, and ultra-high endurance to break through data access bottlenecks.
- Deploy next generation storage with confidence with Intel® Volume Management Device (Intel® VMD): Enables hot swapping of NVMe SSDs from the PCIe bus without shutting down the system, while standardized LED management helps provide quicker identification of SSD status. This commonality brings enterprise reliability, availability, and serviceability (RAS) features to NVMe SSDs, enabling deployment of next-generation storage with confidence.
- Intel® Intelligent Storage Acceleration Library (Intel® ISA-L): Optimizes storage operations, such as encryption, for increased storage performance.
- Up to 3.1x faster cryptographic hashing of SHA algorithms using Intel® AVX-512.16
- Up to 1.2x algorithm speedup for AES-128-GCM.16
- Up to 2x faster Reed Solomon Erasure Code performance using Intel® AVX-512.16
Complementary Offerings for Even Greater Performance, Scalability
Intel offers a broad hardware and software portfolio that complements this new processor.
- The Intel® Xeon Phi™ processor is an ideal foundation for highly parallel applications, such as machine learning training, simulation, and visualization.
- Intel® FPGAs offer efficient acceleration17 along with the flexibility that comes with using programmable hardware for low-latency applications, such as virtual switching, network services, data analytics, and AI.
- A range of software tools and libraries for general and highly parallel computing help developers optimize applications for Intel® architecture.
Enhanced Platform Trust
Data and platform reliability and protection are key concerns for enterprises dealing with increasing concerns and scrutiny regarding data security and privacy. Intel® Xeon® Scalable platform helps build highly trusted infrastructures with platform data protection, resiliency, and uptime.
Increased data protection and reliability across every workload:
- Enhanced Intel® Run Sure Technology: New enhancements deliver advanced Reliability, Availability, and Serviceability (RAS) and server uptime for a company’s most critical workloads. Hardware-assisted capabilities, including enhanced MCA and recovery and adaptive multi-device error correction, diagnose, and recover from previously fatal errors. And, they help ensure data integrity within the memory subsystem.
- Intel® Key Protection Technology (Intel® KPT) with Integrated Intel® QAT and Intel® Platform Trust Technology (Intel® PTT): Deliver hardware-enhanced platform security by providing efficient key and data protection at rest, in-use, and in-flight.
- Intel® Trusted Execution Technology (Intel® TXT) with One-Touch Activation: Enhanced platform security, while providing simplified and scalable deployment for Intel TXT.
As more data-rich workloads flow through the data center, this comprehensive suite of hardware-enhanced features brings better data- and platform-level protection mechanisms for trusted services in enterprise and cloud environments.