Refer to this when you get one of the below error messages when you update your graphics drivers.
Error Received when you use Intel® Driver & Support Assistant
Error: A customized computer manufacturer driver is installed on your computer. The Intel® Driver & Support Assistant is not able to update the driver. Installing a generic Intel® driver instead of the customized computer manufacturer driver can cause technical issues. Contact your computer manufacturer for the latest driver for your computer.
Error received when you manually install driver
Error: The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Obtain the appropriate driver from the computer's manufacturer. Setup will exit.
Error: This driver could not be installed on this computer. Contact the computer's manufacturer for further information.
Why did I get this error?
Your computer manufacturer customizes drivers that run Intel® components on your machine. This error occurs on 5th Generation or older computer manufacturer systems or platforms that have not updated to the latest Intel DCH Graphics Drivers. For more information about DCH Graphics Drivers, see our FAQ on the subject.
This includes the Intel® Graphics Controllers listed below (or older):
- Intel® HD Graphics 5500
- Intel® HD Graphics 6000
- Intel® Iris™ Graphics 6100
- Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 6200
- Intel® HD Graphics 5300
- Intel® Iris™ Pro Graphics 5200
- Intel® Iris™ Graphics 5100
- Intel® HD Graphics 5000/4600/4400/4200
6th Generation or Newer Platforms
If you are encountering these errors on a 6th Generation or newer system, refer to Error Message Appears When Installing Intel Graphics Driver 126.96.36.19941 or Newer for how to resolve the issue. This primarily occurs when the currently installed driver on the system is non-DCH. DCH driver 188.8.131.5241 or newer drivers will only install over OEM DCH drivers.
This includes the Intel® Graphics Controllers listed below (or newer):
- Intel® Iris® Pro Graphics 580
- Intel® Iris® Pro Graphics P580
- Intel® Iris® Graphics 550
- Intel® Iris® Graphics 540
- Intel® HD Graphics 530
- Intel® HD Graphics P530
- Intel® HD Graphics 520
- Intel® HD Graphics 515
- Intel HD Graphics 510
How to fix it?
- Try the Troubleshooting Wizard for Intel® Graphics Drivers (Recommended).
- You can also try contacting your computer manufacturer to get the latest driver.
- Or you can install the generic Intel® Graphics Driver, but you risk losing functionality or causing other technical issues. If you want to install generic driver, select your operating system or processor for instructions:
|Intel® Driver & Support Assistant|
|How to Identify Your Intel® Graphics Controller|
|Graphics Drivers for Intel® Pentium® Processors and Intel® Celeron® Processors with Intel® HD Graphics|