Click or the topic for details:
What is Intel® WiGig?
Intel® WiGig is also known as Intel® Wireless Gigabit. It’s a wireless technology that uses a 60 GHz band to deliver instant, seamless, high speed (up to 7 Gbps) wireless communication. Intel® WiGig offers two types of usages:
- Intel® Wireless Dockig replaces cables for devices like:
- HD monitors
- USB storage
- Wired Ethernet connections
- Intel® WiGig VR solution replaces cable between the head-mounted display (HMD) and the PC in the traditional VR system.
The IEEE 802.11ad standard fully describes Intel WiGig.
What can I do with Intel® WiGig?
There are two types of Intel® WiGig solution.
- Intel® Wireless Docking allows you to wirelessly connect to all of your devices automatically when you sit down at your desk. Ultra-mobile PCs (UMPCs) don’t always support physical docking stations. Docking stations often require extra wires and accessories to connect to all your devices.
- Intel® WiGig VR solution allows your PC to connect wirelessly to the WiGig adapter on the head-mounted display (HMDA).
Which Intel® products include Intel WiGig?
Following Intel® Wireless Adapters support Intel® WiGig.
Does Intel WiGig replace my wireless adapter?
While Intel WiGig doesn’t directly support wireless access to the Internet, Intel® Wireless Docking can support a wired Ethernet connection.
Is there an Intel® WiGig certification?
Intel WiGig products meet Wi-Fi Alliance certification requirements.
How does Intel® WiGig protect my data?
Intel WiGig employs a point-to-point connection. It transmits short-range to the wireless docking station. All data passed between the device and the dock/HMDA is protected with Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) 128-bit hardware encryption. User profiles save on the device, not the dock/HMDA.
Where can I get support for my product with Intel WiGig?
Intel Customer Support offers the following contact methods:
- United States
Phone: (916) 377-7000, Monday – Friday, 07:00 to 17:00 (US Pacific Time)
Intel Customer Support
|Note||For Intel® WiGig VR, it's recommended that you contact your Head-Mounted Display WiGig Adapter (HMDA) manufacturer for initial support.|
Can I add Intel® WiGig to my current computer?
For Intel® Wireless Docking, check with your computer manufacturer to find out if your computer can support Intel WiGig technology.
For Intel® WiGig VR, WiGig PCIe Adapter (WGA) can be inserted to a PCIe slot in your PC. Check with your VR HMD manufacturer for the recommended PC specification that supports Wireless VR.
|Learn More About Intel® Wireless Docking|
|Support for Intel® Wireless Docking|