The Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (Intel® RST) driver version 18.0 and later support Intel® Volume Management Device (Intel® VMD) technology capable platforms.
Intel® VMD is the new way to configure platforms for Intel® RST management of RAID and Intel® Optane™ memory volumes.
The proper HW and BIOS support is currently available only in mobile 11th Generation Intel® Core™ Processor-based systems only that are completely configured and ready to go.
The steps below are required to set up and configure HW/BIOS supported systems for Intel® RST storage management through Intel® VMD. This is only a reference for system vendors and expert users.
Step 1: Download the driver
- The Intel® RST 18.0 or later drivers come in three packages on Download Center.
- SetupRST.exe: Full Windows installer that installs the driver, uninstalls legacy applications and provides the option to install the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application
The following packages contain the driver files only and must be installed through the Have Disk process:
F6flpy-x64(Intel® VMD).zip: New driver package that targets VMD enabled platforms only. Driver binary is iaStorVD.sys.
F6flpy-x64(Non-Intel® VMD).zip: This driver package targets platforms that do not have VMD enabled, or do not support VMD. Driver binary is iaStorAC.sys.
Download the SetupRST.exe and f6flpy-64(Intel® VMD) packages onto a USB flash drive. (Make sure to unzip the f6 package.). Set aside for use during the OS Installation process.
Step 2: System BIOS
The following fields will need to be updated to allow the storage devices to be managed by the Intel® VMD Controller:
- Locate the VMD Setup Menu for the platform and select Enable.
- From the available storage ports, select Enable for the ports that contain the devices to be managed by Intel® RST.
- Select SATA Controller to enable this to be managed by the Intel® VMD Controller.
Step 3: Install operating system (Windows® 10 64-bit)
During OS installation process, the proper f6flpy VMD driver will need to be installed to detect the drives being managed by Intel® RST under the Intel® VMD Controller.
With the USB drive that contains the driver downloaded earlier connected, during the OS installation at the following screen follow these steps:
- Press Load driver.
- Press Browse.
- Select the USB drive that contains the F6 driver and expand the folder that contains the driver. Press OK.
- Make sure the iaStorVD.sys driver is highlighted and Press Next.
- Select the drive for OS installation and Press Next.
Step 4: In the operating system
Once in the operating system, the Intel® Optane™ Memory and Storage Management application should be downloaded from the Microsoft Store* for management of RAID/Intel® Optane™ memory volumes.
Setup.exe can be used during future installations from within Windows as needed.